The US Food and Drug Administration recommends asking your veterinarian these 10 questions about medication prescriptions for your pet.
- Why has my cat been prescribed this medication and how long do I need to give it?
- How do I give the medication to my cat? Should it be given with food?
- How often should the medication be given and how much should I give each time? If it is a liquid, should I shake it first?
- How do I store the medication? Do I need to refrigerate it?
- What should I do if my cat vomits or spits out the medication?
- If I forget to give the medication, should I give it as soon as I remember or wait until the next scheduled dose? What if I accidentally give too much?
- Should I finish giving all of the medication, even if my cat seems to be back to normal?
- Could this medication interact with other medications my pet is taking?
- When should I bring my pet back for a recheck? Will you be calling me to check on my pet’s progress, or should I call you?
What reactions should I watch for, and what should I do if I see any side effects?
Related: How to Give Your Cat a Pill